Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Necessary Writing Habits

If any of you are like me, you have to be doing certain things while you're writing. For me, I have to do a number of small things every single time I write, otherwise I will not have a good writing session. And I'm not being overdramatic about this either. When I'm not doing these habits while I'm writing, it's like writers block is sitting right behind me, laughing at the emptiness of ideas in my brain.

So, in honor of these said habits, I'm going to make a list of them right here!

1) I sit on the floor with all of my story notes spread all around me
If you lived in the same dorm as me, and you came into my room, you would either see me sitting Indian-style on the chair in front of my desk or--as I stated--on the floor. There's just something about sitting at a desk that just makes me go crazy. I can never think clearly stuck at a desk, which would probably explain why I always had a hard time focusing during all of those college lectures.
It's a lot like that new chick in NCIS. You don't really see her sitting behind her desk. She's always sitting on the floor, or literally on top of her desk (I've done the same thing a few times). When she was first asked why she was sitting in a spot that wasn't her desk, she said it gave her a different perspective. That's kind of why I don't sit at a desk. Even if I owned a desk right now, I wouldn't sit at it.

2) I drink tea
Tea has a way of getting those gears turning in my head. When my house is empty of any and all tea, that is when all of my focus walks right out of the front door. I think the British have something going for them when it comes to all of that tea they drink. No wonder BBC has the best written shows I've ever seen!

3) I snack on something
This goes along the same lines as the tea. I don't know if I have a weird type of ADHD (I might get tested for that actually), but when I'm snacking, that's when my fingers start typing madly, as if they had entered a typing marathon. Also, I'm very weird when it comes to snacking. Say I was in a group of people watching a movie. Pretty much, everyone would take a handful of popcorn and either scarf the entire handful in their mouths, or they would eat maybe a few at a time. I don't do this. When I snack, I will take one piece of popcorn, no matter how big or small, and eat it. Just one at a time. I have NEVER come across anyone else who does this.

4) I have something playing in the background
When I write, I either have a movie or a playlist of music playing to get me in the right mood for what I'm writing. Currently, I'm writing a fantasy novel, so I would most likely have Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, or The Chronicles of Narnia playing on my TV. I have now just begun planning a paranormal/fantasy novel, so for this, I would probably play some kind of movie with vampires and/or werewolves, and anything mythology. This second novel has to do with ancient gods and goddesses with a twist.

I think that's it for all of my necessary writing habits. What habits do you all have when you're writing? Do you do any of these things, or do you do something completely different? Let me know!

Until next time,
Good day and goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment